Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Journey of 1,000 Pages Begins With a Simple Introduction



Infinite Jest has been sitting on my shelf for a long, long time. Once in awhile, on nights I couldn't sleep, I'd take it down and read a paragraph or two, and that'd be enough to renew my determination to read it...someday. But I never did, I simply never had the courage. So I invented a good way to procrastinate - I'd wait until DFW promised us something new, and that would be the impetus to take it on. But DFW is gone, and nothing new is coming. So what better time than now. And now, I'm excited!

To wring every ounce of meaning out of this masterpiece, I'm employing the help of a guide - Greg Carlisle's book titled 'Elegant Complexity' has been given high marks by many readers for the clarity it brings to DFW's byzantine text.

My plan is to post at least once a week, just talking about what I've read, reactions to those sections, how a particular chapter may connect with facets of my life, memories, people I know, etc. It won't be too cerebral - just a way to force myself to think about the book, and thus, understand it as well as possible. And so it begins...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Luck on your jouney! SP

Unknown said...

Greg,

Greg, Greg, Greg, Greg, Greg, Greg, Greg!

Big Lolly